Thursday, September 11, 2008

Why do I run?

The question of “Why do you run?” was posted on one of the weight watchers message boards that I frequent. I had to stop and think about it....

The easy answer is that I run to stay in shape, but I don’t think that is really the whole truth. I could go to they gym where I have a TV and weather doesn’t matter. I could play basketball, soccer or some other high intensity sport. I could just focus on my diet and maintain my weight. So why do I choose to run?

Initially, it was because I wanted to get my 4 miles in faster because I was getting a little board walking around the track 16 times. Then, once I started running I noticed some things other than just losing weight and getting in shape.

First, every mile I run seems like a mile further away from the ‘old’ me that was out of shape and unhealthy. Each step is reprogramming my self image to see myself as healthy, fit and someone who makes good choices. Each step takes me away from the old me that dealt with stress and joy the same way... by eating!

Second, every time I finish a run it builds my confidence that I can accomplish whatever is in front of me. Running is a physical battle within yourself. You will always have some pain, fatigue and/or other issue that comes up during a run. Mentally, you have to be able to focus on the task at hand and block out the distractions. If you are 4 miles from home, you don’t have a choice. You have to win the battle and make it back home. Mental toughness comes into play. You build up the mind to be able to block out discomfort, doubt and fear.

Third, I enjoy the competition. Running is very competitive, even when you are alone. You can try to beat your last time or make it up a hill you have never conquered before. In races, you do compete with others but also with yourself and your previous performances. There are not many sports where 7 year olds can compete with 70 year olds and both can win by meeting their personal goals. At the end of a race, everyone is smiling and enjoying the success you feel from finishing a race. There are no losers in running. As my friend Bill Buck Bates told me, “No matter what your time was, you beat all the folks that chose to sit on the couch.”

Fourth, I do enjoy the endorphin rush I get from running. There is always a smile on my face when I finish.

Fifth, I solve a lot of the worlds problems while running. It is amazing the clarity with which I think while running. I am able to find solutions to problems, make decisions and set goals while I am on the road. Somehow the physical exertion clears my mind of the negative thought patterns or self imposed limitations that might creep into my mind during a normal day.

Finally, my ego does come into play. I just enjoy doing something that I thought I could never do. I like being able to say I am a runner. I enjoy knowing people think I am an idiot when they see me out in the rain or the 100 degree heat. I know that is not necessarily a good reason to run, but I have to be honest here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment