Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Off day...

I was going to go out for a short run today, but I heard the rain this morning and decided to give myself a rest after the 10 miles yesterday. I will be going to Yoga today, so that will be enough of a workout. My legs feel good and I haven’t had any pain. Tomorrow I want to go out for 7 miles at a decent pace.

Julian has her last swim meet tonight and then we need to figure out what she is going to do between now and basketball season.

The Biggest Loser starts tonight too, I am glad we have the DVR set up to record it. It is kind of a goofy show, but I really like it. It was one of the things that got me off my tail and moving about a year ago. The one thing I really got from that show is that there is no shortcut. You have to decide you want to get healthier and then follow through. They present unrealistic results because they are in a controlled environment, but that does show you how much of a lifestyle change is required to lose weight.

Someone asked me “Are you through losing weight yet?” Well, I guess the answer is yes, but that doesn’t change anything. I am committed to making sure my lifestyle stays healthy and that requires as much effort as losing the weight did. In fact, it is a little harder because when I was losing weight, it was like a game where I won every week when the scale went down. Now, the focus is on keeping the scale where it is.

Another question I get is “Do you weigh everyday?”. This seems to be a very polarizing issue when I discuss it with other Weight Watchers folks. Weight Watchers only wants you to weigh in once a week because of the normal ups and downs your body has. However, I weigh ever morning and every night. The scale is not what defines me, but it does help keep me on track. It is kind of like running without timing yourself, I need the feedback that I was running fast (for me anyway) or slow. It helps to reinforce the new self image I am trying to develop of a healthy, athletic me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment