Saturday, January 3, 2009

Resolution Run Half Marathon....

First of all, congrats to my wife Lee for winning overall 1st place in the women's masters division of the 5K!  That was a great accomplishment.

As for my half marathon, it went a little faster than planned but was probably what I needed to run.  I look at it as kind of like a long tempo run where my body practices running a little faster than race pace for the marathon in February.  My coach Allan and friend Jeff both ran with me and kept me going.  The start was a little interesting.  I forgot my Garmin, so it was definitely up to Allan to keep our pace up.  He made a last minute dash to the porta potty that was conveniently located right next to the starting line.  Well, the guy starting the race said 'Are y'all ready? Go!' and we were off, except for Allan.  He started his watch while he was doing his business and Jeff and I went on knowing that Allan would catch us (he is working on a 7:30 pace for the Houston Marathon in two weeks).  He caught up with us before we got too far and then we were together the rest of the way.

I liked the course.  It mostly avoided main roads and had great volunteers and police at any intersection that might be busy.  We ran a nice path through Furman as well.  The last 3 miles included 2 miles on the Swamp Rabbit Trail.

I felt good for the whole run and my heel was barely noticeable.  We finished pretty strong and I am still waiting on my official time, but it should be under 1:56.  Considering I was originally looking at a 2:10 or so, I am very happy with it.

I would recommend this race to anyone that is in the area next year.  The parking was a little far away from the packet pickup, but other than that it was a great event.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about volunteers and the course being very good. I was very discouraged by the parking arrangements as well. I wasplum exhausted before the race started by walkingup back down and back up the three tiered mountain just to register etc. But I must say my biggest disappointment was with the lack of event t-shirts for everyone. I was a pre-registered internet $43 Signup and was toldI would not get a t shirt since i hadnt registered before 21 Dec or something to that effect. Well I have ran in 15 halfs an 1 full marathon since Oct 2007 and every race gave me a t shirt except this one... I even got one last year. Also I must also say how dissapointed I was with the "plastic" finishers medallion. You know there are many many more runners that will not win a place in the race and their only prize for competing is more times than not the shirt and the meddalion... I will not run in races where these corners are cut and I know thousands of runners that feel the same.... simply try and tell any runner at the Peachtree Roadrace that they will not get a tshirt because they paid more money than those that did receive one but for what ever reasons were not able to pay quickly enough.... If the costs of tshirts and medallions are having to be watched that carefully to ensure ends are met than shame on either the sponsors, the organizers including race directors or all the above. Maybe the race's existence at all should be re-thought. Sorry but I started this race today with a bitter taste in my mouth after being told I was not getting a t-shirt..... Well now I have 16 halfs and 1 full marathon under my belt but only 16 tshirts on my back...... to show for them.... I ran 2008 and 2009 but I will not run next year if this same poliy is followed......

    ReplyDelete