Sunday, January 18, 2009

A funny thing happened on the way to the 18 mile marker...

Cruising along on my 18 mile run today I discovered that there is a limit to how far I can run. It is 16.75 miles. Actually, I made it 18 miles but after 16.75 I wouldn't call it running. I now understand the 'wall' others refer to. This is an experience that I personally do not care to experience again.

I haven't decided if I just don't have a high enough overall mileage base or if maybe I'm not meant to run a marathon. Either way, I am glad to have found out about this at home instead of in a race. I feel confident I could run/walk the marathon, but I really have no desire to do that right now. I felt kind of like Forest Gump when he quit running. He was done. So am I, at least for now. I don't mean done with running, but done with pushing to see how far I can go.

I may change my mind at some point and try again, but right now I am at peace with the fact that I am going to focus on half marathons and shorter runs from this point on. I started this journey to lose weight and I have accomplished that. Along the way I discovered running and I am thankful for that. Today I discovered that I can take something I enjoy like running and make it into something I loathe. I don't want to do that. I want to enjoy running. I will continue to enjoy running, just at distances less than 16.75 miles!

0 comments:

Post a Comment