Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Fun Run....

I used to laugh when I saw something advertised as a 'Fun Run'. I couldn't imagine those two words going together. I grew up thinking of running as punishment. All the sports I played used running as a punishment. I saw nothing fun about it.

Somewhere in my brain that all changed last year. During the last few weeks of marathon training I had turned running back into something less than fun. I think my collapse on the long run was as much mental as physical. I am even more impressed with those that complete a marathon than I already was. What a great display of mental and physical toughness.

Today I went out for my first run since Sunday and it was fun again. I definitely made the right decision to bail on the marathon this year. I am looking forward to my next run and my next race, as long as it is a half marathon or less! I also think I am going to get one of those bumper stickers that says "My sport is your sport's punishment".

0 comments:

Post a Comment