Thursday, February 5, 2009

Greenville Track Club...

Even though I've been a member of the GTC for a little over a year, tonight was the first meeting I have been able to attend. It was quite a diverse crowd and that made for a really fun time. Lee recognized one of the older gentlemen as the father of some kids she knew in high school and it was interesting talking to him.

I also got to speak to Flemming and Megan. Congrats to both of them (and Megan's husband too...) on their awards. I understand why I don't ever place now that I got a good luck at those that finish in front of me! We did get to pick up our shirts for earning points in the 'Tri-Running Series'. That was a nice bonus.

One of the highlights of the evening was the presentation of a $10,000 check to Meals on Wheels from the proceeds of the Spinx Runfest this year. In these economic times, I am sure it was sorely needed by that organization that helps care for our elderly. Another highlight was some special awards for some of our older runners, including a gentleman that set a state 5K record at the age of 88. I hope I am still moving like him if I make it to 88.

Flemming had some fun while talking up the Greer Earth Day run that he is heading up. He went ahead and seeded some runners for it and gave them their bibs. He got me ready to sign up.

If you enjoy running at all, you should consder a membership. You get discounts on race entries for a lot of events and get lots of training opportunities too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment