Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What will I do in 2009?

Hmmm... Putting stuff like this out on the web really makes you think.  It will be out in the ether of the internet for years to come.  My grandkids may find it in a digital archive sometime and ask my kids if I got it all done.  I learned from all the coaches I have had over the years that it is better to have a few rules and stick to them than to try to cover every situation with a written rule.  I am going to take that same approach to my goals for 2009.  I have a few goals that I am determined to achieve.  If I reach those, most of the smaller ones I have will be accomplished in the process.  I'm watching David Letterman as I write this, so a 'top 10 goal list' seems appropriate.

So, here is an attempt to list them.  I plan on checking my progress at the end of each quarter so I'll revisit these no matter what the results are.

  1. Get my 26.2 sticker.  I have crossed most of the standard distances in races in 2008.  2009 will be the year I get the big one.  I am scheduled to run the Myrtle Beach Marathon on Valentines Day.  I am not setting a time goal for this, just getting the medal will be enough.
  2. Set a PR in the 5K and 10K distances.  Once the marathon is complete, I hope to recover quickly enough to PR in these two distances before the heat of the summer is upon us.
  3. Race every month of the year.  This year I started in March and missed July and December.  With my limited Clemson education, I was able to calculate that I missed 4 months.  
  4. Complete 5 events that are 10 miles or longer.
  5. Run a race out of the state of South Carolina.
  6. Complete the requirements for the Tri-Running Series T-Shirt.
  7. Place in my age group in a race.  (I guess I need to find a real small race with no 40-44 year olds)
  8. Run 1200 miles during the year.
  9. Continue my yoga classes.
  10. Maintain my Weight Watchers Lifetime status.
Potential Races:
1/3 - Resolution Run 1/2 Marathon (registered)
2/14 - Myrtle Beach Marathon (registered)
3/7 - Reedy River Run 10K
3/21 - Shamrock Fun Run 5K
3/28 - Race for the Inlet 5K @ Myrtle Beach
3/28 - Milliken Earth Run 5K
4/4 - Cooper River Bridge Run 10K
4/25 - Greer 5 Miler
5/8 - GHS 5K
5/16 - Easley Lions Club 5K
6/13 - Sunrise Run 8K
July - Need help.. I'll be at the beach over the 4th....
August - Midnight Flight 10K
9/18 - BMW 2 Miler (A real fun race)
10/25 - Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, DC (Don't know if I can handle 2 in one year)
10/31 - Spinx Runfest (1/2 or full..... Hmmmm)
November - Lungs for Life 5K, Taylors Turkey Trot
December - Paris Mountain Road Race

So, if I can fill out July, I should have lots of opportunities to run.  I need to find some 10 Milers or Half Marathons to fit in there to get my 5 distance race goal.

I think it is a pretty aggressive schedule, but one that I should be able to attain.  My guess is that I will focus on the 1/2 marathons and 10 milers after I complete my marathon.  I just can't imagine being able to devote the time needed for training again.

What are your goals for 2009?

---------------------------
Small addition:  I would like to do another Sprint-Triathlon in 2009, especially if I can score a road bike beforehand....

3 comments:

  1. Look for the Hartwell Dam Run in May. It is nice. Not too far away. They have 10K and 5K. Not sure about July races.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dam run... I love the name, I certainly have said it in a different context in the past...

    ReplyDelete
  3. July always has the GTC 2 Miler...good place to pick up LOTS of GTC Running Series points!

    ReplyDelete