Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Biggest Winner...

I often think about all the times I told myself that I hated running.  It's kind of like when my son says he 'hates' some kind of food that he has never tried.....

I think the tipping point for my decision to lose weight was when I started watching the Biggest Loser.  Early on, I really enjoyed sitting down with a bowl or three of ice cream and watching the show.  I wrote it off as being unrealistic because of the fact that the contestants had all day with a trainer and no other obligations.  Sometime during the fall season in 2007 though, I took it as a challenge.  

After watching the show for a while, it became evident why I had failed in the past.  I had never looked at the challenge as being a lifelong one.  I always had the mentality that if I lost the weight and started exercising, my metabolism would speed up and I could eat 'normally' again.  The problem was my definition of normal... Those of you that know me are not surprised that my view of 'normal' was off kilter a little bit!

When I started Weight Watchers, I paid a lot of attention to those that were close to their goal or were already at their goal.  I quickly found out that they never considered themselves 'finished'.  I accepted the reality that I was going to have to look at this as a way of life and not a 'program' that I would 'complete'.

As my exercise evolved into running, I realized it was a great companion to my new lifestyle.  Running requires some semblance of a healthy diet.  Especially as I have started to run longer distances, I think about eating in terms of 'fuel' instead of just 'food'.  I also have had to learn that the idea of being able to eat whatever you want because you are running 30+ miles a week is a myth.  Granted it helps some, but you can still gain weight while running!  

Anyway, as I sit here watching the finale of this season's 'Biggest Loser', I realize that I was the big winner when the show got me to change my habits.  So if you happen to read this and you want to change something in your life, I hope it helps you realize you can do it.  It won't be easy and you may hit a few bumps along the way, but you can do it.  You may even discover that you enjoy something you always thought you would hate!

0 comments:

Post a Comment