Monday, March 9, 2009

The 'M' Word....

The 'M' word crept back up into my vocabulary on Saturday. With Lee standing next to me, my coach asked me to run the Marine Corps Marathon with a group he has put together. Well, Lee's sister lives up near D.C. and that would mean a trip to see her. Training would be mostly during the summer when our activity level is at its lowest, so it would be a good time as far as the family schedule goes. I am far enough removed from my crash and burn on the 18 mile run I last tried that I actually think I could possibly get through it now.

So, with great trepidation, I am going to say that I am going to tentatively accept his invitation and start working on a marathon training plan.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Further thoughts on the Reedy River Run......

1) Just a heads up to those of you that this may apply to: When you finish drinking, taking in a GU or whatever you are doing that generates trash, please look behind you before you throw your stuff down. I got nailed with an almost full cup of gatorade running through one of the water stops on Saturday.

2) If you are a Jeff Galloway disciple and have your watch set to beep when it is time to walk, stay to the edge of the crowd, check behind you and then slow down. It is really annoying to be in a crowd and have someone stop and walk right in front of you. Remember, not all runners are petite, a big guy like me may have a linebacker flashback and take you out!

3) Thanks to all those out on the course with cowbells, posters and cheers. It is always great to have folks cheering you on.

4) Thanks to all the GTC members that gave me a thumbs up or shout out when they saw my singlet. I think we were well represented.

This race is really turning into a great event for Greenville. I could see it growing to 7,500-10,000 runners and multiple heats of the 10K and 5K.

0 comments:

Post a Comment