Saturday, March 7, 2009

Happy Anniversary!

Today was the one year anniversary of my racing career. Not to the date, but to the race. Last year I ran the Reedy River Run 5K as my first ever race. Today, I ran the 10K. It was a great day on a lot of levels...

First, it was great to feel improvement and consistency. I have managed to keep my running up for a full year and I have consistently improved my times. The race was almost twice as large as last year, so I didn't know what to expect as far as speed. I knew the 10K had a lot of time on trails and that the narrow paths would slow the crowd. Even with that, I managed to beat my 10K personal best by about 8 seconds. I was hoping for more, but the slow start and the crowded trails caused me to miss a few seconds I could have taken off the time.

Lee had an outstanding race considering the 5K had over 2000 entries and has a notoriously slow start due to the crowd and early hills. She took third place in her age group. And her age group had 134 finishers! My neighbor's granddaughter won her age group and another neighbor had a son win his age group. Our street was well represented except for my 'slacker' performance!

This is a perfect race from a social standpoint as the West End area is great for the post race party and awards. The Greenville Track Club did a tremendous job putting on the race and we really had no complaints this year. The finish was improved to allow a little more room and having a disposable chip was great.

Other than the fact that I am getting jealous of Lee's growing trophy collection, I must say I am really enjoying racing and hope to see my times continue to drop over the next few years.

0 comments:

Post a Comment