Monday, November 10, 2008

Weekend update...

The Caine Halter Lungs4Life 5K was a great event. They raised over $200,000 for lung cancer research.

The course was pretty good and I think that other ‘downtown races’ should consider using it some. It took advantage of Cleveland Park and the new section of the Swamp Rabbit trail and ended up on the big field at the YMCA. There was very little impact on traffic which is nice for everybody. Anybody else notice how much more ‘runable’ the soft surface on the new section of the trail is compared to the first section they did? That first section is way too soft in my opinion, but the new section seems just right.

I hit a 5K PR at 23:16 (Garmin Time). Even though my first mile was pretty fast, I think I could have gotten under 23 minutes if it wasn’t for the walkers at the front of the pack. It takes time and energy to wade through a crowd. Since it was a charity event, I wasn’t upset about this. There were lots of people that were there for the cause and not the race.

I was disappointed that I didn’t get out for a long run this weekend. I have to figure out how to get those in consistently now that I am in full scale marathon training mode. I still think my best bet is early Sunday before church, but I would like to run some routes that would be safer during the daylight hours. I’m just going to have to deal with it week by week I guess.

I am also beginning to believe that after I dabble in a couple of marathons, I may become a 1/2 marathon guy. The training is significantly less of a burden and I think it would still help increase my 5K and 10K speeds.

0 comments:

Post a Comment