Saturday, August 30, 2008

Weight Loss...

I have been reading Bart Yasso’s book about his running life. I’ll write more later, but basically it recounts his life in running and how he got started. He credits running with helping him overcome the demons of alcohol and drug addiction. I can understand that, because in a few short months running has helped me overcome some of my unhealthy lifestyles. Just to give you an idea of where I was, here is a picture of me from July 4, 2007. It was three months after this that I started changing my ways. I probably weighed about 277 pounds here....

Before



After we started running, both of us experienced more weight loss than we ever expected plus we got our bodies in better shape than expected. Running has definitely changed my perspective on life and allows me to feel good about what I accomplish. Here is a picture of us last June. I was about 195 in this picture...

Lee_and_Robert

When I was running the 10K last night, I was struggling a little the first mile because I went out a little too fast. I was able to reflect on where I was and where I am and not only did that help keep me going, it strengthened my resolve to never go back to where I was. Each race is like a statement that I am not going backwards. I don’t know how healthy that attitude is, but I’m happy to have it right now. Fear can be a great motivator. My hope is that continued success can slowly change the fear to confidence, but I think I will always have some fear of returning to my former self.

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” -
George Santayana

0 comments:

Post a Comment