Monday, August 25, 2008

Starting to blog...

Well, everyone else seems to blog about their favorite things, so I guess I might as well join the crowd.

A little about me.... On October 1, 2007 I realized that my weight was just completely out of control. Well, that isn’t totally true. I didn’t realize it, I just finally decided to deal with it. On October 2nd, I walked in to Weight Watchers and tipped the scales at a svelt 271.6 pounds. That was actually down about 8 pounds from my peak. I also started walking every morning at the track at our local elementary school.

Walking got boring and started taking too long as I increased my distance. After joining a message board for Guys on a Diet (GOAD) on the Weight Watchers site, I got to thinking about this running thing. Some guys there advised me to start slow and just run for 10 or 20 seconds and then walk. I felt pretty stupid doing this, but it wasn’t long before I was running 1/4 mile at a time. Slowly I built up to where I was running, well ok more like walking fast. I ran my first 5K in March of 2008 with a time of 29:16 and have been going strong ever since. I drug my wife along for the journey even though she swore she would never run a whole 5K (Now she runs farther than that every day!)

So with a combination of Weight Watchers and Running, I lost 78 pounds by the end of April 2008. I have maintained that weight loss since then.

So far I have run several 5K’s, two 8K’s and one 10K. This weekend I am running a 10K and a 5K.

I am now working on the Spinx 1/2 Marathon on October 25th. My ultimate goal would be to run the Marine Corps Marathon in October of 2009.

Here is our happy family with our age group trophies from the Harbor Walk 8K in Georgetown, SC last June... The kids did the 1 mile.....

IMGP1028

0 comments:

Post a Comment