Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Runners are cool....

I have been in lots of groups and on lots of teams in my life. I have witnessed relationships ruined over important issues like pinewood derby cars, who plays first base and talking during someone's backswing. I have played on teams where I was the worst player and where I was one of the best players (yes, that was not a winning season). I understand that in theory, golf is a sport where those with different abilities can play together because of the USGA handicap system. I also understand that people that are good at golf don't like waiting on people like me to find my ball that went in the woods.

Runners seem to be a little different. While I am sure that there are plenty of running snobs, I haven't met them. In fact, I am always amazed that the fast guys and gals talk to me like I am one of them. Even though they have showered and had a late breakfast by the time I finish, they still consider me one of their own. We all fight our own demons during the race. Some may be fighting injury, some may be fighting fatigue, some may be fighting emotional or psychological roadblocks, but all of us cross the same finish line. That finish line is not the great equalizer though. In fact, it isn't the finish line makes you a runner. Nope, it is the starting line. The starting line is where runners are made and where the fellowship starts. The starting line is where we find our common bonds. Our talents, abilities and experience determine when, and even if, we make it to the finish line. However, the courage to cross the starting line is what unites us. That is one of the greatest gifts I have received in my 18 month running career, the courage to cross the starting line and desire to see others cross it too.

2 comments: