Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Races, races, races... lots of races....

This is a great time of year to find a race. It seems like there are multiple races each weekend right now. How do you pick which ones to run?

Sometimes, I have a cause I really want to support. Last November, Lee and I ran the Caine Halter Lungs For Life 5K. It was important to both of us because her mom died of Lung Cancer and her dad knows the Halters...

Sometimes a race just sounds like fun. The Midnight Flight in Anderson was one of these. Running a race at night was pretty cool. I won't eat pizza before the race if I run it again though...

Location can be a big draw. We ran in Murrells Inlet last year and that was fun. We also ran the Cooper River due to location and just for the experience of a 'big race'.

Chance to set a PR... I haven't really run a race just for this reason, but if I was picking between two I can see it being a factor. Flat doesn't always equal faster for me though...

Odd distance... Sometimes it is fun to try something other than a 5K or 10K... The BMW 2-miler comes to mind. Of course, I had no idea how much fun the after party was. I will be back there!

Guilt relief... The Taylors Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving makes it a little easier to pig out that afternoon.

The big picture... Sometimes a race can help you on your way to a bigger goal. It can help keep you motivated to train while you are looking at a bigger race down the road. I will be looking for some races to fit in with my marathon training.

Now, why am I running the Greer Earth Day 1/2? Hmmm... mostly because Flemming is the race director and I am sure it will be a great event. Plus, he wouldn't let a GTC runner get a DNF would he?

0 comments:

Post a Comment