Monday, October 5, 2009

Taper Time!!!

Well, the hardest physical part of the training is done now that I finished my 22 miler yesterday. The fun of the taper starts now. I understand that it can be mentally challenging to reduce your miles as the race approaches, but I don't think it will bother me.

I am a little worried because I am not sure if I could have gutted out an extra 4.2 miles yesterday if I had to. Hopefully the taper will re-energize my legs some and I will survive the race. I also hope that being in a crowd and not being alone will give me some added adrenalin. Off today and an eight mile recovery run tomorrow. I'll be interested to see how that eight miles feels....

Now I am going to have to make some decisions:

1) Do I want to carry some fluids and snacks with me or rely on the course aid stations?

2) What kind of menu am I going to eat heading into the race.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't worry about the fluids but would carry something like GU (or your brand of choice). My last marathon I did GU and ibuprofen around mile 18. Felt great when I finished like I could have done 5+ more miles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey there!

    just came across your blog randomly. i love long distance races, and although everyone is different, i'll suggest what works for me. pre-race menus - definitely eat well-balanced (equal portions lean protein, carbs, veggies). people go crazy with the carbo loading and that is such a misnomer for the 2 days prior to a race! carbo load 4-6 days in advance. the night before my race, i have found great success with a lean hamburger (not a lot of toppings, and no greasy fast food style burgers).

    for during the race... just remember never to try anything new. if you haven't trained with it, during the race it could haunt you big time!

    good luck... sounds like you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete