Thursday, May 28, 2009

Time to get back to blogging....

Glad I ran earlier today, looks like the thunderstorms are about to kick up!

I am amazed at how fast stuff grows around here. Kudzu, I'm used to. When I was a kid, we would measure it daily and see it grow 10-12 inches each day. Lately though, I am noticing how fast weeds, trees and other vines grow as well. Today I counted 8 limbs that I either had to duck or dodge on East North Street that were not in my way last fall before the leaves fell. I kind of enjoy the distraction on those hills, but when I am not paying attention and take a limb to the face it isn't much fun.

The bugs have come out recently too. It is amazing the variety of insect life you see while looking down as you run. We've got some nice bugs around here... Some that I change my stride to avoid stepping on because they are so big. I've also seen a couple snakes (2 alive, 1 dead) so far this spring. Add in the normal loose dogs, field rats, chipmunks and squirrels and I feel like I am running out in the country.

I have been running, but not as much as I would like. I should still hit my 100 miles for the month though. I am going to take it fairly easy in June so that I get acclimated to the heat without risking injury or fatigue before I start marathon training in July. The sound of that 'marathon training in July' just really doesn't get me too enthusiastic right now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment