Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Friday Night 5K?

This Friday is the GHS 5K. Last year it was at Eastside High School and I had vowed not to run it again after that experience. I don't mind cross country courses, but that one was a real stretch to get 5K in and was pretty narrow in a lot of sections. You also had to snake back and forth across a field. It is almost the same course that is used for the Taylors Turkey Trot. I like the Turkey Trot for a lot other reasons, so it doesn't bother me as much...

Anyway, this year GHS moved the 5K to TR and put it on the Swamp Rabbit Trail. I am a little concerned since it is an out and back course and there will likely be a lot of walkers, but for $5 you get a t-shirt and refreshments so what is to complain about?

I ran again yesterday and felt much better than I did Saturday, but I am no where near race-ready as I was still 30 seconds a mile off my normal training pace. What does this mean for me on Friday? Well, I assume it means no PR and likely not even a sub 25 minute time. It is a Corporate Shield event, so there will be a pretty good crowd of fast runners, so maybe I will get lucky and pace off someone. After this race, I think I am going to spend May doing speed work and then see if it pays off in the Sunrise Run on June 13. I like that course and I think that five miles might be a good distance for me.

2 comments:

  1. I will be there, too, and that up and back thing concerns me as well. I drove over to the course on Sunday to scout it out, and I'll tell you that the trail was skinny. Maybe they'll close a lane of the highway and take us down on the road and then back up on the trail? I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We ran on the trail from Furman back to TR in the Resolution Run 1/2 in January and I couldn't imagine the typical two way traffic you would see in a 5K out and back.

    I am expecting a pretty big crowd with the TV commercials and low price. It should be interesting...

    ReplyDelete