Wednesday, September 9, 2009

No time to run, so I guess I will blog!

It has been a while. It isn't intentional, just been very busy with school starting, marathon training and young son's football practice. Oh yeah, I have a job too!

The good news is that I got through my first 18 miler this week. I was scheduled to run it on Sunday, but we didn't get home from the Clemson game (Go Tigers!) until late Saturday night and I decided to use Monday as my long run day.

That was a good plan, I was going to take Tuesday off (short 4 mile recovery run scheduled) and jump back in today... Well, another late night last night and I didn't get up early enough to run. No time and lunch and then no time after work either. So, my new plan is 8 tomorrow and and 10 on Friday. Take Saturday off and go for the big 20 miler on Sunday. That will be a test.

I have been very happy with my training so far. I was struggling early on, but then I just decided to give up any hope of being fast during the summer. Once I let go of that (am I zen runner yet? Nahhhh) I was able to just focus on the distance. Other than my two dog rescues, the runs have been pretty uneventful. That said, I do need to admit that my new nickname might be Linus... You see, I have been carrying a security blanket of sorts with me on my long runs. On my last two long runs, 14 and 18 miles respectively, I have put my new iPod Shuffle on and headed out the door. I have never turned it on though! I don't know why really.... Well, I do like to let my mind wander some early in a run and just see where that goes. I love having it with me, because I always know that if I start focusing on pain or fatigue it is right there to be a distraction. However, I haven't turned it on. Well, I have used it on some short runs where I knew I wasn't going to run into any issues. On the long ones it is kind of like a secret weapon that I am holding onto just in case I start losing the battle. It is my last ditch, nuclear option to pull through to the end. How weird is that? I think Sunday I am going to turn it on from the beginning.... Well, I need to make sure I have four hours worth of music on it first!

0 comments:

Post a Comment